IV. What Happens During the Dedication Ceremony?
1. Parents’ vows
During the dedication service, parents will be asked to make the following vows:
• Pray for my child daily.
• Instruct them faithfully in the teachings of the faith.
• Teach them to read God’s Word.
• Encourage them to pray and lead a life that pleases God.
• Take them to church regularly to worship the Lord and help them stay connected to the body of believers.
• Do all in my power to bring my child to the knowledge of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
“But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children — with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.” (Psalm 103:17-18)
2. Pastor’s blessing
When parents’ vows have been taken, the pastor will anoint the child with oil, dedicate them to God in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and pray for them. After each child has been dedicated, the pastor will close the ceremony by speaking a blessing upon all the children and their parents.